Monday 19 October 2015

Election Day Blues: Monday, October 19th!

A man of courage never needs weapons, but he may need bail. -Lewis Mumford, writer and philosopher (19 Oct 1895-1990)


Up at just after 8:00 am to check on the forecast. Supposed to be cloudy most of the day but otherwise precipitation free so after breakfasting on the Keating's freshly squeezed grape juice and a dynamite latte, courtesy of Theodorakis, I suited/lubed up and was ready to roll at just after 9:00 am. I stole one of Elaine's freshly baked soda biscuits to sustain me on the ride and then took off, making for my old stompin' grounds. Crossed 4th at Bayswater and then took Point Grey to MacDonald, past Kits Pool/Kits Point and I was soon back on Lamey's Mill Road, headed for Science World. Had decided to make for Stanley Park as I felt the Seawall would not be overly busy at this time of year, this time of day. My assumption proved to be absolutely correct and I whizzed along, enjoying the light mist shrouding the freighters in English Bay.

Once I'd reached Stanley Park itself I took off for Lost lagoon as I wanted to follow the road and climb the hill to Prospect Point. Just near the bottom of said hill another rider said good morning to me and I nodded my greeting to him, mentioning how warm it was. At first I thought he would leave me behind but I soon was riding next to him and we started a pleasant conversation as we rode along together. We introduced ourselves and Roger, it turns out, was recovering from a triple bypass operation, just six months ago so he was doing pretty well, as far as I was concerned. Had I had more time I think I would have continued to ride with him but he was heading back around the park an I needed to make for home. Waved goodbye at the bottom of the hill and since this is one of his regular morning routes perhaps I'll bump into him again, sometime later this week.

Although there had been very slight sprinkles of rain, on and off, for some of the ride, nothing that mattered and by the time I was out of the park the sky had even begun to brighten. Enjoyed being on the relatively empty Seawall so just drank in the sights of the surrounding city as I made for Science World. Knew I'd need to do some dipsy-doodling, thereabouts, and actually saw Constance Barnes, with her entourage, on Millyard, she in a most attractive bright orange coat. She gave me a broad smile and asked if I'd voted. Told her I'd done so and for her party so her supporters gave a load cheer! Next stop, Kits Point so a loop or two of this neighbourhood before continuing on to Point Grey Road. Almost exactly 1 km from Bayswater to Dunbar so by the time I'd reached the latter I had 49 km on the clock. Had figured this was what I needed to log my goal of 51 km once back at Bayswater B&B and this is what the display read when I reached bee-hive central. Stats for ride:


https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/932733271#.ViWJNzQaKsg.email

Patrick, Hopefully, he will turn out better than JFK. Mike. I thought you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: Photos of shirtless, muscle-flexing new Canadian PM eclipse policy talk http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/BBmgq0n?ocid=se
 
Over to Chloƫ's place for fabulous Thai take-out dinner with Ted/Elaine and Colleen/Big Al to watch the red tide sweep the country. (Richard Cannings, for whom Cora Lee volunteered, won in our riding, so very pleased about that! Frustrated that I couldn't find snap of Justin in link Michaelo sent!) Was great to have a chance to visit with everyone as we literally had been so busy we'd hardly seen E/T even though we stayed with them for four nights!

He’s out of surgery, the surgeon called me and everything went very well. He saw no signs of other cancer.  More later as he recovers.  Thank you for all your prayers.  LOL Francesca  Hi Francesca! Wonderful news indeed! Thanks for letting us know. Please keep us informed and correct me if I'm wrong. I assume Gregg is here in Vancouver? If so, we'd like to visit him whenever that might be appropriate. we leave for India on Tuesday, October 27th. At any rate, please pass along our best wishes to Gregg. We are thinking of both of you. Love, Corinne and Patrick! 

Hi Patrick and Corinne So great to hear from you! So sorry that I didn't connect with you at UBC on Saturday as I was on campus 12-2 for the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at Sage Bistro. 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland--so it was a wonderful tea part--Kedrick James from LLED was the Mad Hatter, Margot Filipenko the Queen of Hearts and Carl Leggo, the March Hare. Kedrick performed and his elocution and monologue was superb. Carl read from several of his poems and the word play was a delight. Margot was in her element and off with their heads suited her very much.

We would love to get together with you. Tonight Colin is working the election so won't be home til 10 or so. I was wondering about getting together for a quick supper on Tuesday or Wednesday--say 4:30 p.m. or so? Or we could try to meet for lunch on Wednesday--say the UBC Golf Club?? Let me know if anything works for you. Would love to get together. Jo-Anne



hi friends and family, another great hike on this warm 18-c fall day on conkle mountain southwest of summer. 19 of us o / f 's full of energy embraced the day and enjoyed so many beautiful view points as we circled the mountain. enjoy the pyx's.   karl

No comments:

Post a Comment