Sunday 25 October 2015

Final Strike Blues The Iceman No Longer Cometh: Sunday, October 25th!

Words are a mirror of their times. By looking at the areas in which the vocabulary of a language is expanding fastest in a given period, we can form a fairly accurate impression of the chief preoccupations of society at that time and the points at which the boundaries of human endeavour are being advanced. -John Ayto, lexicographer (b. 1949) 


Up at 6:15 am as I was to be at Performance Works by 7:30 am. Zapped my latte Instanto, (a poor boy's version of fab one Theodorakis would make at the Bayswater B & B), and put on a small frying pan of diced garlic, ginger and Yukon Gold spuds, (all three prepared last night ready to go for my early start!), sizzling quietly on low heat while I showered and changed.

Two cancellations overnight. Illness, overwhelmed students. Germaine Chu,
Dexter Dippong 8-11 set-up now only has 12 people 12:15-3:15 down by 1/2 (Sejin Cheon will turn up late probably...he's hard to communicate with and pin down) 5-9 down by 2, I have one distinct possibility on the hook : Fred
Hornby...he may come down earlier to help with 8-11 and/or 12:15-3:15. Will be at the office by 8, will send down any available vols as I can. Kathryn
 

Hi Kathryn! Thanks again for last night's ticket! Certainly much appreciated. Thanks as well for update on volunteer strength. We'll manage, I'm sure. Onward! Fight!! Must away as I'm off to PW. Cheers, yer ever so 'umble servant, Patrizzio!

Hi Cécile! Very pleased that we bumped into each other at PW otherwise I would not have been able to send along these pictures as I didn't take down your email address on Wednesday evening. Cheers,  Patrizzio! Pics: You and Maureen relaxing when you are supposed to be working!

Hi, Patrick and Corinne:So soon now and you'll be off to India!!!!! Can't wait to hear about your sub-continental adventures. If you have a copy of your day-to-day itinerary, please send as I'd love to follow along vicariously.

Dunbar Branch is CLOSED on Mondays. But you could drop the e-reader off
at my mother's place (leave on back porch, if she's not there) at 3803 West 39th Avenue. Or it might be more convenient to drop by an open VPL location, such as Kitsilano Branch, and ask them to put it in the internal mail.

So glad you were able to find time during your pleasantly busy stay in Vancouver to come over last Sunday. And I'm glad that you liked your
and Andre's mutual friend, Dan. He is interesting, smart and quite the talker!

Not that I suppose that my social life is of surpassing interest to the universe, but Dan and I have a bit of history. We dated for a short while (just a few months) about 5 or 6 years ago, but as we've realized over time (including a long period during which we weren't in touch at all), we work together much better as friends. That said, he went through a very rough relationship break-up earlier this year, which, together with the fact that he's living a somewhat solitary life on the boat, has led him to rely on my friendship quite a bit. And you may have noticed that he is naturally demonstrative and affectionate. He
most definitely appreciates me (which is nice for my self-esteem!) but is fully aware and supportive of my connection with James.

James and I are a whole different story. For long periods during the 5 years or so that I've known him, he hasn't even been living in this province. Being a former Air Canada pilot, though, he flies for free and he would come out to visit every so often. I'm delighted that he moved back out to the coast at the beginning of September. I'm kind of nuts about him, actually -- yes, even at my age!!!!!! -- though I suppose that "nuts" is a bit hyperbolic. There's definitely a lot of warmth, affection and joy in spending time with him, though.

Anyhow, I guess it's time to stop these ego-centric ramblings and get on
with other things on my "to-do" list. I hope you have a truly fabulous time in India!!!!! Thanks for the pictures! Love, Janet
 

Hi Janet! Trust you are well. Cora Lee dropped off your eReader at Kits. Unfortunately, she chipped a tooth and luckily, she managed to get an appointment with someone who was not our regular dentist, in the building opposite Safeway at Broadway and MacDonald so Kits was most convenient.

Certainly did enjoy meting Dan and hearing all about your "social life". You are a dark horse! Very pleased that you have such a rewarding relationship. Does James have a brother for Chloë? Thanks again for all your most helpful tips. I forwarded them to Lynne and Peter and heard from him, in Madagascar, just as he was about to board his flight for Chennai. He was delighted to receive them and asked me to thank you. He will be there a day before us. Fondestos, from Mme Coriandre who just turned out her bedside light. Will be in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio!



No comments:

Post a Comment