Tuesday 15 December 2015

Back Yard Patio Gazebo Backhoe Blues: Tuesday, December 15th!

The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)  

 
Patrick James Dunn Who's been naughty and who's been nice? Fab earrings and red gloves! Cheers from Burns Street where Lady Darjeeling is busy decorating for Christmas! Snowman cookie jar just filled with Clara's shortbread. Care package from Falcon arrived yesterday and Corinne has already finished off entire contents of tin meant for Chloë! Guess Nana has been very, very naughty so only lumps of global warming coal in her stocking! Happy Christmas to one and all!!!

Hello Arizona People in Paradise, et al! Had to take a break from messaging to put another log on the fire after reading about all your fruit trees. In future, please limit your comments to "threat of frost" reports only! Dusting of snow on the hilltops this morning. We have an appointment to have snow tires put on car tomorrow. (When did you mail Christmas cheque, Falcon!) Forecast is for snow on Friday and following days.
Any malt left, Henryk, because we have changed our winter plans after hearing about your tropical orchard. We leave on December 22nd, just before Chloë arrives in Penticton, one-way tickets. (Will send flight information in next message so you can meet us at airport.) Plan to stay until May when you drive back.  (You might need to buy a bigger vehicle for return trip. As well, I'd appreciate a new road bike so that I can cycle through the cactii!) 

From what you wrote, Louise, I think I could live on overlefts for duration of stay so you'll only need to buy gluten-free products for Lady Dar! Gary next-door will house-sit when we are away as he doesn't like maltage! Cora Lee plans to buy a St Bernard before we leave so trust this is fine with Venus. Looking forward to your Christmas cooking, Louise, as your pre-Christmas fare was more than wonderful! Fondestos and best wishes until we see you on December 22nd! [Will send our Xmas list as soon as I've compiled it. Up to fifty presents so far, not counting stocking stuffers but we usually limit those to $25 each so you don't have to work too, too hard Henryk!] Happy Christmas to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrizio! If I read you correctly (sometimes not that clear in my mind, that is what is left of it!) you will going south until May. Was going to invite you to our digs on Dec 26th when we have the clan over (including Nancy, David et al) for an appy filled event. If you were in Lower Mainland area, but alas it was not meant to be. Charlie Hi Patrizio, So Susan also read your entry at the end, and believe the invite for our place may still be doable. No more skimming over your emails for me! Just let us know. You could have even stay here but we already have our daughter Marnie back with us and also Susan’s Norm and his daughter, Becky are also here for the week. Unless you want to put up a tent in the back patio. Charlie

Hello again, Lower Mainlanders, et al! Thanks so much for the invitation on December 26th but we are having an Open House, ourselves, on Boxing Day! Sorry for the confusion BUT we are not heading south, to Arizona, for the winter months! Just my silly reply to Louise and Henryk after their message from Sun City:

Our Meyer lemon tree is full of ripe lemons - as is our tangerine tree.  The grapefruit and Lisbon lemon as still maturing.  Our lime has already produced  - we missed the harvest but our neighbours enjoyed the limes.  I will be making some lemon loaves and lemonade.  Pretty tree. It will look great once adorned with festive ornaments!


Don't feel too, too badly, as a number of other friends assumed the same! Although sunnier climes are most appealing, (I just put another log on the fire.), we really want to experience an Okanagan winter. Rosita and Dusty will be here from January 15th to February 15th, or thereabouts. Already making my list for Picasso. Told him not to bring his paints along as he will be too busy changing all the light switches and designing new back stairs, outside my "office", onto patio, to worry about his artistic pursuits!

We spent a few hours this afternoon, readying the back patio furniture for hibernation. Wind was pretty chilly although sun was shining brightly. After the furniture was stacked and covered I split a bit more kindling and then we took off to run a few errands. I had to collect my prescription for pills I've been taking against malaria. Dope that I am I left the vial on my food tray on flight from Frankfurt to Vancouver. Needed to take one with first meal we were served and I thought I had placed the container in my pocket after I'd downed the tablet. Not the case and when I realized what had probably happened I knew they were almost certainly gone. Asked one of the very helpful and attentive Lufthansa stewardesses if vial might have been found and left in galley. No such luck and impossible to go through the garbage, of course. Anyway, Lady Darjeeling has been giving me pills out of her supply so my course of medication is unbroken. I ordered enough to compensate for ones she gave to me so all is well on this front. Will be very glad when we can stop taking them as I feel that there is a mild side-effect, a low-grade queasy stomach or sense of slight dizziness at times. Have to continue until January 15th so will need to drink even more heavily over hols!


Must away as I'm to make a salad for dinner and we will enjoy a 2013 Upper Bench Yard Wine, (Blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, a tribute, according to label, to a wine the owners made exactly the same way they used to make it for years, from the tiny vineyard at their old home in Naramata), 14.7%, one of the latest wine club releases we just picked up this afternoon. Program comes with three of their wonderful cheeses so we are starting to get ready for entertaining over hols. Wanted to collect our release from Township 7, just down the road, but they are only open Thursday-Sunday. All the best from Lady Darjeeling, still sorting out Xmas ornaments while watching The Young and The Useless! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Pics, taken on my birthday, in Varanasi: First shows the aarti ceremony, performed by seven Hindu priests, with musicians, honoring the sacred Ganges. We watched from a boat, just offshore, cheek-by-jowl with many other tourists, both international and Indian. Omnipresent "spectators" and "bull-fight" on the ghat, (stairs that lead down to Ganges),we passed after ceremony was over. Buying corn chips and peanuts, roasted in sand in a "wok" over charcoal fire, on street just outside our hotel. This street food is really terrific! Even took two bags of peanuts on flight home, just in case we needed to assuage our hunger pangs!
 

What is a Christmas without snow??? al Hello Sweden! Snowing in Stockholm? Cheers, Patrizzio! 


P,  welcome back. I gather you got the boot from the Ashram? Talking infractions I expect. Let us know your travel plans to the lower mainland and other promiscuous parts. Fond regards, G & J
Dear Patrick and Corinne Great to hear from you!  Welcome back.  You are not going to experience winter for too long from the sounds of it. I just came back from Edmonton where I visited my dad, Pauline and brother, Bob.  It was snowing and there is a fair bit that has fallen already.  Only -5 C though and Sunday it wasn't windy so we went for a lovely walk overlooking the Saskatchewan River.  I am so so grateful to be walking this December!  I rented a car and driving was good but you realize how careful you have to be especially navigating the side streets.  Also had to shovel the sidewalks--hardy bunch those living in Edmonton--my Dad of course shovels his own walks--aged 90.  Wish he would get some help but he likes the exercise.

Eric comes home for Christmas.  John and Yulin will celebrate Christmas in Boston.  We are going over to Qualicum Beach to be with Colin's mom on Christmas Day.  Then plan to go to Tofino and Victoria for a few days.  Coming home Dec. 31.

Will catch up with Di and Gaz on Saturday--off to the Sunshine coast for a ferry ride--if it is not too windy. Will you be coming through Vancouver at all?? Are you flying or driving to Arizona??  How long will you be away? Happy holidays to you.  Say hello to Chloe and Aiyan.  Have a great Christmas. Warmest wishes always Jo-Anne and Colin


Hello again, Marps! You sound as if you are retired! Are you trying to keep one step ahead of the law? Please say hello to Gaz and Di. Greetings from Lady Darjeeling! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi all, Here in sunny Adelaide it is already 32C and it is only 11:13am. The forecast for the next few days is 35C, 36C, 38C and then a cooling down to 30C!! Unfortunately our walking season is over, but I will be interested to do some snow show shoeing with you Patrick as I have done this in SunPeaks with Lloyd.

We have had a few hot days already it reached 42C last week, just after the most horrendous fires near Gawler where two people lost their lives and many homes were destroyed! The beach is best place to be so we have been down a few nights to walk in the cool water.

Had a busy pre-Christmas day yesterday, lunch with my french class and then dinner with my horticultural friends! Today we are having pre-Christmas lunch with Don/Anne then tomorrow I will take my mum and maybe Aunty Olive to lunch somewhere cool. Friday night I will be volunteering with OzHarvest at their Christmas Tree of Goodness. Of course 23rd will see us celebrating our 48th wedding anniversary it is Trevor’s turn to organise the outing!!! Then Christmas we will have Trevor’s mum, my mum, Mark/Bree/Mya and Jade having lunch with us and then over to Don/Anne’s for tea. Must go as I need to put on my makeup and that takes a long time these days. Looking forward to seeing you in February. Much love Tina xx


Hello TNT! You certainly sound as if you are not retired, Teens! Are you trying to keep one step ahead of the law? Please say hello to Anne/Don and your Mum, for us. Let us know what you think might work best for a visit at Sun Peaks. Depending on your schedule, I think we will stay with friends in Kamloops and drive up, for day, to visit with family. You are welcome to come back with us and we'd drop you off in Kelowna or you could come to Penticton first and then have us drop you back in Kelowna. You decide and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Thanks for your email ... and yes we did hike yesterday and even gave you a HUG! Was good to see you again ... although you were kind of quiet!
What are you/Corinne going to bring for Jos' Potluck Surprise Party, Jan3? I am keeping a list. Please let me know, thanks! Hugs, Aarturo 


Dearest, Inattentive Aarturo! I mentioned in last missive that we would be bringing Lady Dar's Feta Kartofellage! Please scrutinize your messages more closely! What time should we arrive? Another question you failed to notice, I am sad to say! If I was a tad reserved yesterday, it was that I was overwhelmed to be back in the sheer beauty of the Okanagan! More than a dream come true!!! Your hugs were magic, as always! Given that you barely skimmed my message, when are your pictures of hike to be posted? Andiamo! Andiamo!! Andiamo!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Of course I read Feta Kartofellage, but when it comes down to really needing to understand what that is, I have to ask the basic question again ..."what are you going to bring" which you answered with Feta Kartofellage, so I am back to square ONE! I assume it is a Feta Cheese Potato Salad? However, knowing your and Lady Dar's delicate class it may be something wayayayay more exotic! But even so, is it an appetizer or main dish? Please help me wet-ten my appetite! Hugs ... this time mainly to Lady Dar Aarturo

Hello Erika and Amy, and fellow DMCI folks!! Trust you are both well. Just listened to your phone message, of November 11th. We were still in India.
Funnily enough, I included other mutual friends in message, (see above), and a number of them actually think we are going south!
Happy Christmas from Lady Darjeeling to you both, Erika and Amy, Ron/Greg and family. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics:
Construction next door has just barely started. Will move the patio furniture closer to house, for protection, over the winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment