Saturday 26 December 2015

Burns Street Open House Boxing Day Blues: Saturday, December 26th!

Avarice, envy, pride, / Three fatal sparks, have set the hearts of all / On Fire. -Dante Alighieri (1265-1321) [The Divine Comedy]  

 
Silvana Harwood Happy Christmas to you all! Patrick James Dunn Happiest of Happy Christmas to you and Bruce, and a Healthy New Year to you both, Ragazza Silvana! We'd love you to come and visit so let us know when to expect you. Once we've done a few days, (or weeks), of wine tasting, we'll all head up to Little Shushwap to freeload with the Squamoids! Betty Chapin Looking' good, you two! Merry Christmas! xoxox Patrick James Dunn Hi Betty! Trust you and Andrew are well. Come and visit and see what life in The Okanagan is all about. Healthy New Year from Lady Darjeeling and I! Mme Coriandre's tasty, tasty borscht. Who knew she was a closet Ukrainian!

Betty Chapin Yes, we are well, Patrick. Good to hear from you! Looks like life in the Okanagan is agreeing with you! We'd love to come to see you there! Corinne's borscht looks fabulous! xo

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Just had a bowl before we took Chloë to the airport. See you in the spring then! Wait until you try Grill Woman's bbq'd steaks or chicken, washed down with a robust red from almost anywhere in the Okanagan now! Hurry on up as reservation book is filling up
Joan Woodbury Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you! Patrick James Dunn We're both wearing our new fold-back mittens, wonderfully appropriate gifts from Ayn, in Tinsel Town, as well as my new camera strap, (A late birthday present from Chloë as we were still in India on December 6th, in Varanasi, to be specific.), at the outset of our Christmas Day walk, along part of the KVR down to Okanagan Lake.

Ayn P Don't you have hot pink crocs to match that super cool camera strap??

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn I do and I'll dig them out for a New Year's Eve selfie!
Kurt Traugott
Kurt Traugott Merry Christmas you two and only the best for the coming year, good health, lots of laughter and love

Its rather late to wish everyone a Merry Christmas but Me and Joyce would like to wish everyone a Happy New year and safe travels...to where ever you maybe going.. we have sort of lost track of time  as we have been with the kids here in San Francisco where the weather is gorgeous  I might add.. LOL.. you see no snow to keep us in check.. we will be returning back home on the 18 of January 2016.. and hope we missed most of the bad weather.. New Year... new goals.. to be set... just hope I can live up to all my new years resolutions... cheers for Now.. have a great great holidays.. and we will see you all soon.. Ken & Joyce. the newlyweds 

[Cora Lee's gluten-free porridge. Very tasty and Annie would love it as she was a firm believer in hot cereal during the winter, whether Red River, or oatmeal or semolina!]

Hi, Some of you probably already know my news but thought I’d send the letter out to at least wish you all a wonderful holiday season and fabulous 2016. Hugs, Janet

A Christmas note to my friends! Not sure what happened last year, I started my xmas letter in November and then before I knew it, it was 2015! Needless to say I didn’t get the letter to you. So here I will combine my news from the last 2 years and hopefully it will find its way to you before the calendar turns over to 2016. 

Thanks again Patrick….sorry could not make it as I had a ski patrol shift all day. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family! 

Ruth Chang
Ruth Chang You two are looking younger and fitter! Love to go and visit at your new home one of these days!

I will start by saying that I feel very fortunate. Not only do I have a loving family and wonderful friends, but I have a job that I like, am able to do things I love to do, and live in a beautiful city. With all the recent events going on in the world, I feel very fortunate.

So I will start with 2014 – another year that sent me overseas to run another ‘destination’ marathon, this time in Tokyo, Japan. I had been to Japan in 1985 and had always wanted to go back, so the marathon was my excuse. I find the people of Japan to be very warm and welcoming and so very polite and helpful. There were many highlights to the trip, probably the biggest was seeing Mt. Fuji in all its glory. In 1985 it was no where to be seen so it had always been on my bucket list. Other than that there were many other highlights; heated toilet seats (warmed up the back end nicely in Feb/Mar), delicious sushi at a conveyor belt restauant in Kyoto, wonderfully engaging 4 hour Kabuki performance in Japanese (no subtitles), peaceful and zen-like rock gardens & temples, fun snow monkeys and the list goes on. If you haven’t been there – put Japan on your list.

This year I travelled to Paris for the marathon, and stayed in the city for almost 3 weeks. I had been in Paris in 1989 and though the sites were the same, I found the city friendlier this time. I was also fortunate as my friend has been living there and so I had a place to stay – a big bonus. The weather was unusually warm and sunny and I had a great time.

Other news…well, just the really important blessings in my life - my family, who are all healthy and doing well. My mom comes to Vancouver a few times a year to visit and will be here for Christmas again this year. Last year mom turned 90 and so we travelled to Honolulu where we had gone on her 80th birthday. It was a special trip. This year we took it easy with an Alaskan cruise that left from and returned to Vancouver – gotta love the 10 minute ride to the ship and the 10 minute ride home via my brother. We had a wonderful time. We went on Royal Caribbean. The staff was friendly and helpful, the ship was nice, entertainment very good…all round a fun week.

Really not much other news. Have done some short trips to Kelowna, Oosoyoos and Whistler to either run or cycle. I am doing more biking in the summers now…easier on this aging body! So as 2015 comes to an end, I will again throw out the offer that if you are in the Vancouver area, please look me up. I even have a guest room that I rent out for FREE!! J And it comes with its own bathroom and meals. However, in the meantime, I wish you and your family a very healthy and warm holiday season, and an adventurous 2016! Warmest of Hugs, Janet








 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment