Wednesday 16 December 2015

Lower My Ears Blues: Wednesday, December 16th!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (16 Dec 1901-1978)

Chloe Alexis DunnGuess who has tickets to see Star Wars December 24th? Family Fun, Christmas Eve Day!! Thanks Corinne Durston and Patrick James Dunn!! Ayn P Nana and Poppa will enjoy having their baby for the holidays xo.
Chloe Alexis Dunn
Chloe Alexis Dunn More like their teenager, all I want to do is sleep and be lazy Patrick James Dunn Just for everyone's information, Chloë Alexis will not be sleeping late or allowed to be lazy as there is plenty of wood to chop to keep Nana warm, in front of fire, reading, and sipping mulled wine!!! Bring your steel-toed work-boots teenager!

Ayn P It's a working holiday!!!

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Wrong again! A very, very hard working, dry bread and water, sleeping in the garage, Cinderella, dreaming of a lump of coal in her torn stocking, holiday! Not even remotely as lovingly comfortable as Winston's dog's life!!!

Chloe Alexis Dunn Hmmm I may
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Great as Lynne wants to come to Star Wars!

Chloe Alexis Dunn
Chloe Alexis Dunn Dad!!!! In my best bratty voice, no fair!!!

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn All's fair in Penticton and Outer Space, in a galaxy far, far away, Brattster!
Hi Patrick, I remember those peanuts and corn snacks, yes we all loved them too! I am so glad that I can catch up with Clara and Dusty.

Our experience with the malaria pills was when we went to Vietnam and like you we had queasy stomach and headache dizziness, so after a few days we stopped taking them and I have never taken them since despite going to most Asian countries!!

The week beginning Monday 11th January is when Kirsty/Chris will be with us, they are only staying for 4 days then off to other parts of the country! It would be good for you to catch up with her. I was not planning to go to Penticton/Kelowna until the third week, that is week beginning 25th January when all of the family will have left and Trevor and I will have moved into our usual apartment. I am more than happy to catch the bus to Penticton/Kelowna from Kamloops.

It has been really hot today 42C and we have no relief for the next few days so we are almost hibernating in the air-conditioned comfort of home. I am now going to bed with my latest book “The Third Millennium” by Colleen McCulloch. Love Tina

Hi Teens, et al! Glad you enjoyed the snack street food as well. Also good to know that others experienced some of the same symptoms with malarials as did we. Not that I wish them on anyone but at least I don't think I'm stark raving bonkers! [Maybe I am but for other reasons!] One of the members, Jos, of the hiking group, said much the same as you. She and her husband, Aarturo, stopped the course of medication because of how it made them feel. Now that we have the dratted pills guess we'll soldier on until Clarisse arrives to spoil us with her home-made chicken soup, the cure for everything under the sun!

Thanks for giving us a good idea of your time at Sun Peaks. We'll have to contact friends in Kamloops and see what their plans are. Would love to see Kristy/Chris but the timing seems a bit tight with Rosita and Coat-Hanger arriving on January 12th. Thinking ahead, a bit, it might be better for us to come up on January 23rd or 24th, (Is this the day or so before Mark/Brie and girls head home?), to see them and then give you a lift to Penticton to see Durstons, for however long you wish, and then pop you back to Kelowna. Think about what you think might be best and we'll try to plan accordingly.

Mme Coriandre took the car in to have snow tires installed. Forecast is for snow for next week or so, starting late on Thursday, I believe. Since it is bright and sunny and a balmy 3ºC I think I'll bundle up and go for a bit of a jaunt. Will depend how strong the wind will be. It is out of the NNE at 11km/h at the moment. This will give me time to take out aluminum ladder, once back, and see about putting some Xmas lights on the front of the house. There are already hooks in the facing boards so this should make the whole process a lot easier. Also want to check the eaves-troughs to make sure that they are clear of leaves and small twigs.

Had hoped to have a haircut yesterday but the barber I have been frequenting since moving here was booked until late Thursday. Peter's barber, Mark the Barber, can take me at 5:00 pm today so Lady Darjeeling strongly insisted I go. She is tired of living with The Wild Man of Borneo! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Lady Dar's first Poinsettia and Durston's Christmas card, a "Picasso" original, signed by the artist, #207, November 2015. I have already been offered $50,000 on eBay! Patio furniture stowed for winter. Note small patch of snow. Cora Lee's Christmas present from Henryk and Louise! Selfie in office!

Hi Tina and Trevor, Happy Anniversary, 48 years is certainly something to celebrate. We are having our 40th next May. Back from India and Penticton seems like a dream. Really enjoyed our trip but India is a challenge. At least it was for me. Some of the attitudes reminded me of life in Mexico. Settling in here, on the hunt for the Christmas decorations. Chloe is flying up on the 23 and staying until the 28th. We have decided to have our usual open house on the 26th even though we do not know that many people. Will invite neighbours and Patrick's hiking group.

Ayn and the boys will not be coming up. Alexander and Samantha have set wedding date for July 8, 2017. Ayn is coming up Feb 5-8 when Dusty and Clara are here. They are coming for a visit from Jan. 12 to Feb. 10. Chloe also plans to come when Ayn is here. Hope weather here is warmer than Falcon as they have had a mild, no snow winter so far. It is dry here but snow expected for the next 6 days or so starting tomorrow. We are off this morning to have our snow tries put on.

Patrick is very busy these days tending the wood burning fireplace. I have not done any baking yet. Mom sent 3 tins of shortbread so we are not too badly off.
Love to you both and all your family. We are looking forward to seeing you all in February. Merry Christmas Corinne

Hi Patrick I do feel stupid--Colin corrected me when I got home as I had copied him with your email and he picked up right away the humour in your reply to Louise and Henryk. Enjoy your Okanagan winter--today it is sunny here and the mountains are coated in snow. Yesterday was pretty rainy and cold and of course at higher elevations--lots of snow. You will have to try cross country skiing!

Anyways be sure to enjoy a great Christmas now that you will be at home when Chloe arrives!Our Education Library potluck today. How I remember very well your mother's great cabbage rolls. Take care and cheers for now Jo-Anne 


Given that it was bright and sunny from the very beginning of the day, and a balmy 3ºC, by the time I was ready to ride, I bundled up and went for a bit of a jaunt. Wore my regular winter gloves inside my Lobsters and my hands were more than toasty for entire ride. Even the wind, out of the NNE at 11km/h, according to AccuWeather, just before I left house, cooperated as it really wasn't much of a factor, with respect to temperature, or resistance, when heading into it. 

Decided I'd stay on the flats, close to home, so I simply did the basic Ellis/Marina Way/Lakeshore/Riverside Drive Loop, gerbalizing myself into an almost transcendent state. The lake looked simply magnificent, steely grey, flanked by the majestic icing sugar-topped hills while the air was bracing but not bitterly cold. Not much traffic either so I had the route almost to myself, except for the odd dog-walker or brave jogger. Very pleased with junket as I even managed to push my AVG to 20.1 kph, the least acceptable rate for such a relatively short run and taking into account my lapsed conditioning and the cold of an Okanagan December. Glad I was able to ride today as forecast suggests snow is on the way! Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell Rock!Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/984726970#.VnIE6VUjNjk.email


Greetings from the ever wet and soggy Pacific Northwest . . .
As you out-of-state folks may have seen on the national news, it has been raining non-stop here for quite a while.  Although we and our immediate family and friends were not affected by the floods, landslides and road closures, many people in the region have not been so lucky.  
I suspect the skiers and resort owners are pleased to have a few feet of snow dumped in the mountains, and if the storms continue through the winter, the farmers will be equally delighted to have sufficient water for irrigation this summer. 
However, the rain did not dampen the enthusiasm of the Portland Timbers fans, 10,000 of whom came out for the celebratory parade downtown, and about 6000 showed up for the rally that evening at Providence Park.  Just in case you missed it, our MLS franchise team won the national soccer trophy this year.  Hardly the super bowl, but for avid fans like Katie, Elizabeth and me, it was a monumental highlight of 2015.  We went to every home game when we were in town.
Mike and I continue to putter about with our various hobbies. With his rhododendron buddy, Mike made his annual "Azalea Hunting" pilgrimage-trip to southern Oregon and northern California.  On our way home from Spain, my sister Beverly and I were able to stop for a few days in Boston to link up with our German cousins who were touring New England.  
During the past year, Mike and I enjoyed visits from several out-of-town friends (east-coast, west-coast and Canada).  We also undertook some major landscaping projects this summer.  We've been in this house for 18 years now, and the field has been entirely transformed.  Perhaps too much so because we're not getting any younger, and there is a lot of garden to tend.
Attached is our photo-journal for 2015.   We had some wonderful adventures with our kids and grandchildrenAs always, we are grateful for the love of family and friends, for our good health and many blessings.
We hope this greeting finds you well, warm, and perhaps dry. 
   
        Marilyn and Mike
PS.  Only 6 more days till the Solstice and longer days ahead.    


Hi Corinne and Pat, Welcome back from your journey in far off Hindustan, and other lands. Happy Holidays to you too. bob

Hi Patrick I do feel stupid--Colin corrected me when I got home as I had copied him with your email and he picked up right away the humour in your reply to Louise and Henryk.  Enjoy your Okanagan winter--today it is sunny here and the mountains are coated in snow.  Yesterday was pretty rainy and cold and of course at higher elevations--lots of snow.  You will have to try cross country skiing!

Anyways be sure to enjoy a great Christmas now that you will be at home when Chloe arrives! Our Education Library potluck today.  How I remember very well your mother's great cabbage rolls.  Take care and cheers for nowJo-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment