Saturday 28 November 2015

Fort Rajwada Golden City Blues: Sunday, November 29th!

Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882) 


Hi Jos and Aarturo! Trust you are both well. Just dashing this off as we have been here since yesterday, a two-overnighter stop, but didn't have time to send any messages. Must away as I need to shower and head out for breakfast. Tour of Jaisalmer begins at 9:00 am this morning. Last night we visited a spot just outside city to watch the sunset and then had dinner at a local spot. Had the place entirely to ourselves. Food was terrific and we enjoyed the waiter so a grand time! Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling, showering as I speak, to you both! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Pics: Sunset; Walled city we will visit today; On the rooftop of Jaisal Treat; "Beautiful and peaceful" cows! PS: I couldn't open the two pictures sent with first message! Just a short answer (I can never wrote like you ...). Good to hear from you read your stories. The Jain Temple is simply stunning! Beautiful shots.
We are of to Hawaii Tuesday, among other activities, I will perform on the beach for a wedding! Cheers for Patriandi, kisses for Darjeeling


Hello The Sisterhood! Trust everyone is well. Cheers, Patrizzio!  Good morning explorers!! xoxo

[Greetings from The Golden City of Jaisalmer, outside a Jain temple with our guide, Naresh!]

Jaisalmer Fort stands amidst the sandy expanse of the great Thar Desert, on Trikuta Hill, and has been the scene of many battles. Its massive yellow sandstone walls are a tawny lion colour during the day, fading to honey-gold as the sun sets, thereby camouflaging the fort in the yellow desert. For this reason, it is also known as the Sonar Quila or Golden Fort

Hi Snowshoe Kids! Great snapolas of the the gang snow-shoeing and the deer relaxing! Have a blast in Hawaii. Just waiting for Lynne and Peter to come to our room to have drinks before dinner near the pool. Had a blast on a sunset camel ride an hour or so ago. I plan to post it on YouTube as soon as I'm able to upload it. Here is a two-part account of stay in Jodhpur. Fort first, market next! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi again Snowshoe Kids! Have to dash as we are off to dinner! Cheers, Patrizzio!


[Hi Twitter Goil! Off to breakfast shortly as we leave at 8:00 am for a 7 hour drive to Bikaner. Yesterday's sunset camel camel ride was a blast!]

Dear Patrick and Corinne: Oh my goodness . . .  sorry to hear about your bad experience at On The Rocks!

I must admit that it wasn't my most robust recommendation, having been there just once,  while still recovering from a bout of Delhi Belly (actually acquired in Jaipur).  My worst health misadventure during 3 trips to India!  That was early during the first trip in 2009 -- the organized group trip.  Our Canadian leader (Jonathan, excellent, and veteran of extensive travel in India) took us to On the Rocks, and I don't recall it particularly vividly at all (one way or the other).  So in suggesting it, I expected it to be at least "good."   
 

[Love Nana on a camel!! She could ride to the market in Penticton!! She can take kids for rides while their parents shop! She even parks the camel better than the Equinox and think of all the wine it could haul off the Naramata Bench xoxo I'm planning to give her a back-up camera for the saddle!. Must away as we are off to ride elephants, now being experts on camels! Love and Cheers!]

On the other hand, I really loved the Jaisal Treat, and am greatly reassured that you apparently enjoyed it too.   I went there 3 times during my brief (two-night) stay in Jaisalmer, while on my second trip to India in 2012.    For dinner on the first night.  Then, after visiting the fort, etc. the next morning,  spent the afternoon there, by myself.  It was deserted and I went up to the open rooftop, which afforded great views of Jaisalmer while I wrote postcards etc.  Attentive but unintrusive wait staff brought naan, raita, soda, etc.  It was such a pleasant experience that I returned the next day for a repeat, while awaiting my 5 p.m. overnight train from Jaisalmer to Delhi.    Earlier that morning, I had gone on a "village visit," initially disappointing, but ultimately a fantastic experience, as it transpired that a wedding celebration was underway, and I was invited as a guest of honour.    It was for real -- not concocted for tourists.

Speaking of "concocted for tourists" though, what did you think of the Jaisalmer sunset camel trip?   I was underwhelmed, apart from the beautiful sunset.  Here's what I wrote about it on my blog: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - Camel Trap.

Sounds like you are having a really great trip -- that's wonderful.  Not sure if you've tried any of the other restaurants I recommended (if so, better than On The Rocks, I hope!) (Are you posting hotel and restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor?) Following your trip and looking at your photos with great interest.  Look forward to seeing you again soon(ish), Janet 


Hi All, For those who are planning on joining us for tomorrow's hike up Wildhorse Mountain and/or possibly beyond, it is suggested that you bring slip-on traction devices for your hiking boots if you have them. The snow is just deep enough to make for slippery conditions but not deep enough for snowshoes or to provide much traction. See you tomorrow, Peter



 

No comments:

Post a Comment